ROCKINGHAM — As the filing period for Richmond County’s municipal elections wrapped up its second full day, 10 residents have filed for the 20 open offices.
Filing began at 8 a.m. Monday and ends at noon on Friday, July 17. The last day to withdraw as a candidate is Tuesday, July 14.
As of Tuesday afternoon, three incumbent mayors had filed to run for re-election — Mayor Bill Bayless of Hamlet, Mayor Steve Morris of Rockingham and Mayor Antonio Blue of Dobbins Heights.
Anne M. Edwards has filed for a first full-term seat on the Rockingham City Council. Others running for city council seats in Rockingham are C. Bennett Deane III, Denise Sullivan and John Hutchinson.
For the city of Hamlet, the two residents running for election are David H. Lindsey and incumbent Johnathan Buie.
In the town of Dobbins Heights, Barbara J. Young has filed for a seat on the town council.
The filing fees for Norman, Hoffman and Dobbins Heights are $5 for both mayor and council members.
Those filing for council seats in the remaining municipalities will pay a $10 fee.
Mayoral fees for Ellerbe and Rockingham are $10, but the filing fee is $30 for Hamlet.
Important dates for voters to remember include:
• Absentee voting by mail begins Aug. 14 for September primary, Sept. 4 for October election, Oct. 2 for November election;
• Voter registration deadline is Aug. 21 for September primary, Sept. 11 for October election, Oct. 9 for November election;
• One-stop (or early) voting runs Sept. 3-12 for September primary, Sept. 24-Oct. 3 for October election, Oct. 22-31 for November election;
• Last day to return absentee ballot is Sept. 15 for September primary, Oct. 6 for October election, Nov. 3 for November election;
• Election days are Sept. 15, Oct. 6 and Nov. 3, with polls opening at 6:30 a.m.