Food workers treated for possible carbon monoxide poisoning

EDENTON, N.C. (AP) — Police in Edenton say 15 workers at a Chowan County restaurant and catering service had to be treated at separate hospitals for what officials believe was carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Daily Advance of Elizabeth City reports ( police received a report that some workers at Leon Nixon Catering were sick. Police Chief Jay Fortenberry said the workers were all conscious, but because several appeared to be sick, the responding officer ordered an evacuation.

Vidant Chowan Hospital said 15 patients were treated on Wednesday for carbon monoxide poisoning, and nine of those were transferred to Duke University Hospital in Durham for specialized treatment.

Jennie Droze, the daughter of the owner, said firefighters determined the leak apparently came from an elbow that fell off a pipe leading to a water heater.


Information from: The Daily Advance,

comments powered by Disqus