This information comes from the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and says that smoke from leaf fires can cause significant health problems. Visible smoke from leaf fires is made up almost entirely of tiny particles that can reach deep into lung tissue and cause symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, chest pain and shortness of breath.
Leaf smoke contains many hazardous chemicals, including carbon monoxide and benzo(a)pyrene.
Carbon monoxide binds with hemoglobin in the bloodstream and reduces the amount of oxygen in the blood and lungs. Benzo(a)pyrene is known to cause cancer in animals and is believed to be a major factor in lung cancer caused by cigarette smoke. It is found in leaf smoke as well.
So not only is it not healthy, but in these dry conditions, it is also very dangerous.
Please think before you burn!
Susan Parsons Rockingham