A section of Cartledge Creek Road on the outskirts of Rockingham may receive a new name next week.
A public hearing to rename a section of the road to Everett Chappell Road, will be held as part of the regular monthly meeting of the Richmond County Board of Commissioners. The meeting begins at 5:30 p.m. Monday in the County Administrative Building, 125 S. Hancock Street, Rockingham.
A second public hearing will be held, so the board can receive public comment on a rezoning request by Unimin Corp., and a proposed amendment to the Richmond County Zoning Code.
Other agenda items include:
• A public hearing will be held for the close-out of the Fox Road project, Phase 1 Community Development Block Grant.
• Service contracts will likely be renewed between the county and several fire departments around the county, such as Cordova Fire Department, Northside fire Department and Mountain Creek Volunteer Fire Department.
• There will be an appearance by the Sandhills Center Chief Executive Officer, Victoria Whitt, to request board approval of joint resolutions authorizing a merger with Guilford County.
• The board will consider a proclamation to designate August as soil and Water Conservation Awareness Month in recognition of the 75th anniversary of forming Soil and Water Conservation Districts, of which Richmond County was one of the first.
• The board will hear a request to approve a state airport aid grant agreement for funding the Vision 100 grant project.
• Planning Director Jamie Armstrong and County Manager Rick Sago will each give their monthly department updates at the meeting.
— Staff Writer Dawn M. Kurry can be reached at 910-997-3111, ext. 15, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.