It’s that time of year again — the Golden Football will soon be hidden, and one lucky winner can cash in and win $500 by discovering its whereabouts.
The contest kicks off on Tuesday, when the Golden Football will be hidden somewhere on public property. Clues will be published in the Daily Journal every Tuesday, Thursday, and in the Weekender from Sept. 18 to Oct. 13.
The first person to find the football and bring it to the Daily Journal’s office during regular business hours is the winner.
Clues are also posted at participating businesses 24 hours before being published in the newspaper. These businesses include Murphy Chiropractic, Carolina Upholstery & Interior, First Choice Medical Group, Richmond County Memorial Park, Arnold Chiropractic Center, Norris Storage Buildings and Carports, Cascades Tissue Group, La Cabana Mexican Restaurant, Edwards Boutique and Richmond Kidz Academy.
No clues will be given over the telephone.
“Every clue has been designed to lead you closer to the football,” said Rick Bacon, publisher of the Richmond County Daily Journal. “There are no clues that will lead you away from it.”
The official rules:
• The football is located on property open to the public.
• The person finding the football must bring it to the Daily Journal’s office during regular business hours. In addition to bringing the football, you must bring the official authorization form (located inside the football) to prove authenticity.
• Claiming prizes authorizes the newspaper to use your name and picture in the newspaper.
• One clue will be announced in the paper each of the days the ad runs (12 times).
• Clues will be posted at participating stores 24 hours before they are published in the newspaper.
• In the event no one finds the football, ads will run one additional time, free of charge, with a clue that directs people to the football.
• The football will be visible without moving any permanent structures. It may be slightly covered by grass or leaves, but it is not guaranteed that it will not be covered by debris.
• There is only one authentic Richmond County Daily Journal Golden Football.
• Clues are available only by purchasing the newspaper or stopping by participating stores. If someone finds the football early (before the 9th clue runs), we will accept entries from an entry blank published on each additional ad, until all 12 ads have run. This will be a second chance drawing for $100.
— Staff Writer Mallory Brown can be reached at 910-997-3111, ext. 18, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.