Richmond Memorial Hospital in Rockingham held a special Nurses Week lunch this week.
“This luncheon is to celebrate and thank the nurses for what they do each and every day to care for our patients and families,” said Emily Sloan, Assistant Director of Public Relations for FirstHealth of the Carolinas.
At the luncheon, there was special recognition for individual nurses.
The following are the 2013 Nurse of the Year Awards, with comments about the recognized nurses:
• Women & Children’s Services: Steve Taylor, RN. Knows how to get job done; very knowledgeable and good resource; awesome team player and willing to help other departments.
• Medical/Surgical: Penny Grant, RN. Always kind to patients and helpful; positive personality; remains calm in difficult situations.
• Emergency Department: Tim Lancaster, RN. Always available to help in any way; has calmed down relatives of patients who are overwhelmed.
• Outpatient Surgery: Sherry Scott, RN. Friendly, team worker; helpful to patients and their families; cares about people and wants to do a good job.
• ICU: Aubrey Parker, RN. Model of what every nurse should long to be; exhibits all qualities of a nurse and then some.
• Surgical Services: Raven Currie, RN. Informative, supportive, caring; excellent nurse; very knowledgeable and always willing to train and teach new employees; always goes above and beyond the call of duty.
• Patient Care Support Staff of the Year: Larry McLaurin, CNA. Always comes in when called or needed; takes good care of patients and never complains; always does the job and does it well; first one to call when others call out; rarely declines to come and work an extra shift.
• Nursing Award of Excellence: Jessica Vuncannon, RN. Compassionate nurse; greets patients with a smile; nice to work with and talk to; kind hearted and friendly; calming to the patients — they love her; Great Nurse!