Area of Richmond Transit — also known as ART — gives Richmond County residents an alternative to owning, or driving, a car.
ART is a nonprofit public transportation service that operates under Richmond Interagency Transportation Inc. and serves agencies and the public through subscription and dial-a-ride routes.
Located at 504-D East Broad Ave., Rockingham, the service drops off residents at their desired location and then picks them up when the resident calls.
Transportation Director for ART, Johnnie Morman, said ART is a lot cheaper than any other service.
“We service the good people of Richmond County,” Morman said.
The service takes residents to appointments and other places on Tuesdays and Thursdays and to work and Richmond Community College five days a week, for a small fee, according to Morman. Transportation to dialysis appointments are available six days a week. The service does not operate on Sunday.
According to Morman, there are 12 transportation vehicles and some of those are wheelchair lift-equipped.
Some of the Human Service Agencies that subscribe to the transportation service are McLaurin Vocational Training Center, Richmond County Council on Aging, Richmond County Department of Social Services, Richmond County Health Department and Sandhills Mental Health.
Fare Schedule (for individuals only):
• Rockingham to/from Rockingham $2
• Rockingham to/from Hamlet $3
• Rockingham to/from Ellerbe $4
• Rockingham to/from Windblow $7
• Rockingham to/from Norman $6
• Rockingham to/from Marston $5
• Rockingham to/from Hoffman $6
• Hamlet to/from Hamlet $2
• Hamlet to/from Rockingham $3
• Hamlet to/from Ellerbe $6
• Hamlet to/from Windblow $6
• Hamlet to/from Norman $7
• Hamlet to/from Marston $4
• Hamlet to/from Hoffman $5
• Norman to/from Norman $4
• Norman to/from Ellerbe $5
• Ellerbe to/from Ellerbe $3
• Ellerbe to/from Marston $5
• Ellerbe to/from Hoffman $6
• Ellerbe to/from Windblow $7
• Windblow to/from Windblow $6
• Marston to/from Marston $4
• Hoffman to/from Hoffman $5
• Pinehurst/Southern Pines $10
Mail can be sent to P.O. Box 2657, Rockingham, N.C. 28380. For more information, or to schedule a pick-up, call 910-895-1313. ART can also be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax at 895-1922.
NOTE: The original article had an error that has been corrected. This article is the correct version. We apologize for these mistakes.