The Richmond County Board of Commissioners approved a job creation grant that will assist FerroFab, Inc. over the next few years.
The county will provide the company with an $81,000 job creation grant. The grant will pay the company $1,500 per job, up to 54 jobs. The grant can be paid in 25 percent increments, and would be based on six-month average employment; in other words; an employee must be employed for two quarters before half the grant will be paid.
Tom McInnis spoke to the board as a citizen of Richmond County when the agenda item was opened for public comment.
“I want to commend you for taking this stand,” said McInnis to the board. “This is a wonderful day in Richmond County where a company is paying a living wage. I am 100 percent in support of what you’re doing.”
McInnis said there was strong evidence to suggest that an industry coming to a new location, hiring a workforce and producing a product within two months is rare. FerroFab, Inc. is an industrial steel fabrication company that recently established itself on Hylan Drive in Hamlet.
In other news, the board:
• Agreed to name a new road “Zoey Lou Drive.” The road is located off of Magnolia Street by Mizpah Road in Rockingham. That will be the future location of an RV Park owned by Royal Cribb, who will live on the property as well.
• Approved amendments to the Richmond County Zoning Map, following a public hearing with James Armstrong, Planning and Zoning director of GIS, based on a rezoning petition by Travel Resorts of America in Derby.
• Received an update from Tax Administrator Vagas Jackson on the Richmond County Tax Department.
• Heard Department of Social Services Director Tammy Schrenker give a department update.
• Discussed 2012 Urgent Repair Project Grant, the 2012 Urgent Repair Project Grant Project Ordinance and Assistance Policy, as presented by Sandra Ridley.
• Awarded Contract No. 1 for U.S. Highway 220 Bypass Waterline and Pump Station Project, as presented by Public Works Director Bryan Land.
• Approved Richmond County Emergency Services’ Updated Fire Response Maps, presented by Emergency Services Director Donna Wright.
• Considered appointments to Richmond County Crime Prevention Council.
• Voted unanimously to reappoint Jimmy Quick to Richmond County Industrial Facilities and Pollution Control Financing Authority.
— Staff Writer Dawn M. Kurry can be reached at 910-997-3111, ext. 15, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.