U.S. Army Staff Sergeant William Lunceford of Hamlet has returned home after a tour in Afghanistan, where he flew the Hamlet City flag just as he had during his tour in Iraq.
Lunceford attended the Hamlet City Council’s regular monthly meeting held Tuesday evening.
There, Lunceford thanked the council members and the City of Hamlet for their support.
“I am thanking you for your ongoing support while I was stationed in Afghanistan and for allowing me to fly the city flag while I was there,” said Lunceford. “I flew the flag there just as I had in Iraq. Knowing I had your support helped me return home.”
The council welcomed him home, and Hamlet Mayor Jeff Smart said he was thankful Lunceford was able to make it.
“We appreciate your service and we thank God you came home safe,” said Smart.
In other matters, the City Council:
• Received a budget message presentation from City Manager Marchell Adams-David on the proposed budget for Fiscal Year 2013-2014. According to Adams-David, the budget balances at $7,569,355.
• Held a public hearing to receive comments on the proposed budget, to which no one came, and then adopted the budget for Fiscal Year 2013-2014.
• Approved year-end budget amendments and tax releases.
• Heard comments from City Manager, Councilmen and Mayor Smart.
• Held a closed session, which was deemed inconclusive according to Smart.