The Richmond County Board of Commissioners will receive an offer from the Richmond County Board of Education to purchase Leak Street High School’s property at fair market value at its monthly meeting on Monday.
Leak Street High School’s students have been moved to the Transitional School, with which they now share the campus. The Board of Education held a meeting to collect public input on the closing of the property on Leak Street last month where J.C. Watkins represented the Leak Street Alumni and said that although the decision saddens him, he does not object.
The county board meeting will begin at 5:30 p.m. in the Commissioners Chambers, located on the second floor of the County Administrative Office building, 125 S. Hancock St., Rockingham.
According to the agenda, the commissioners are also expected to:
• Hold a public hearing to confirm the preliminary assessment role for the total cost of demolition and removal or abatement of nuisance properties.
• Hear monthly reports by County Manager Rick Sago and Planning Director James Armstrong.
• Receive an update on Richmond Community College by President Dale McInnis.
• Review a report by FirstHealth Emergency Services Director Grant Hunsucker.
• Hear an annual report by Sandhills Regional Library Director Jesse Gibson and Technical Services Director Bonita Collins.
• Consider a request by Tax Administrator Vagas Jackson to authorize Jackson to grant individual written extensions until April 15, 2013.
• Examine a recommendation to the Water Committee.
• Discuss donating a 1994 Chevrolet truck to Rockingham Rescue Squad and approve the necessary budget amendment.
— Staff Writer Dawn M. Kurry can be reached at 910-997-3111, ext. 15, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.