Tuesday’s Second Primary Election saw a low voter turn-out across the state and here in Richmond County. When the polls closed, only 745 ballots had been cast, representing 2.51 percent of the county’s registered voters.
In all of the 8th Congressional District, Republican Richard Hudson won with 63.65 percent (10,635 votes), leaving Republican Scott Keadle behind with just 36.35 percent (6,073 votes), according to the unofficial tally released by state elections officials late Tuesday night.
Hudson will go on to face incumbent Democratic Congressman Larry Kissell in the November election.
Hudson took Richmond County, with 298 votes or 67.42 percent of the vote, while Keadle captured 144 votes, or 32.58 percent.
The long Republican ticket for 8th District seat was narrowed down to Hudson and Keadle this spring. The vote tally from the May Primary Election was close, and Keadle asked for a run-off.
Neither Hudson nor Keadle responded to calls from the Daily Journal Tuesday night.
As for the remainder of the run-off election in statewide races, many of the following numbers from the State Board of Elections website were still changing by deadline Tuesday, and are therefore subject to change.
On Richmond County’s Republican ballot, Dan Forest won the N.C. Lieutenant Governor nomination against challenger Tony Gurley with 77.40 percent of the votes (315 votes), while Gurley had 22.60 percent of the votes (92 votes). Across the state Forest was leading with 67.87 percent (100,207 votes) and Gurley falling behind with 32.13 percent (47,429 votes).
In Richmond County, the race for N.C. Secretary of State among Republicans in the runoff was won by Ed Goodwin with 53.35 percent of the votes (199 votes), while Kenn Gardner received only 46.65 percent (174 votes). Goodwin was winning across the state as well, with 54.46 percent of the vote (73,357 votes) and Gardner trailing with 45.54 percent (61,351 votes).
Republican candidate for N.C. Commissioner of Insurance was expected to be Mike Causey after Tuesday’s vote. Richard Morgan won in Richmond County with 207 votes (52.94 percent), against Causey who had 184 votes (47.06 percent). However, Causey was leading state-wide with 57.43 percent (79,799 votes) against Morgan, who had 42.57 percent (59,160 votes).
Republican candidate for N.C. Superintendent of Public Instruction was expected to be John Tedesco who received 54.41 percent of the vote (61,351 votes), leaving behind Richard Alexander who had 45.59 percent (62,411 votes). Tedesco lost in Richmond County.
The winners of yesterday’s Republican races will advance to the November ballot where they will compete with Democratic candidates.
On the Democrat ballot Tuesday, one position was up for grabs. With a difference of two votes, Richmond County voters chose Marlowe Foster for N.C. Commission of Labor with 148 votes (50.34 percent), against John C. Brooks who received 146 votes (49.66 percent). However, as of 10 p.m. Tuesday with 88 counties having reported, Brooks had the lead state-wide with 54.18 percent, leaving Foster behind with 45.82 percent of the vote.
— Staff Writer Dawn M. Kurry can be reached at 910-997-3111, ext. 15, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.