ROCKINGHAM — For the second straight year, Richmond Senior dominated the Southeastern Conference baseball honors.
Nic Bullard, who was the league’s Player of the Year last season, will share the honor this time with two others — Pinecrest’s Tristan Helms and Lumberton’s Daniel Oxendine.
Bullard wasn’t the only one who was forced to split a year-end award as Richmond coach Ricky Young was co-Coach of the Year with Pinecrest’s Jeff Hewitt. Young guided the Raiders to their first appearance in the 4A state championship final series since 2000. He was the SEC’s COTY last season.
Bullard, who will attend UNC Pembroke in the fall, wrapped up his senior season with a 9-3 record with one save and a 1.84 ERA. He tossed three shutouts, walked 31 and struck out 91 with 83 2/3 innings.
At the plate, Bullard had three doubles, two triples, a home run, seven runs batted in and a .346 average.
Just like this year, six other Richmond players joined Bullard on the all-SEC team.
• Ethan Baucom is making his first appearance on the squad. The junior hit .341 and led the team with five home runs and 29 RBIs. He added eight doubles.
• Bradley Brown, a Wingate signee, is a three-time all-conference selection. The senior catcher batted a team-leading .388 with nine doubles, a home run and 20 runs batted in.
• James Buie, also a Wingate signee, is making the all-league squad for the second time. The senior played third base and pitched for the Raiders. At the plate, he hit .314 with seven doubles, a triple, a home run and knocked in 22. On the mound, he was 4-2 with a 1.73 ERA. He walked 13 and struck out 46 in 44 2/3 innings.
• Cody Leviner is a two-time all-SEC honoree. The junior saw action at shortstop and pitcher this season. Leviner was 9-2 with one save and a 1.60 earned run average. He had 74 strikeouts in 78 2/3 innings and only walked nine. As a hitter, he batted .365 with 15 runs batted in, seven doubles and a home run.
• Taylor McLean is a first-time all-conference pick. The senior center fielder hit .315 with 12 doubles and 13 RBIs.
• Mike Rush is also making the all-SEC team for the first time. Rush stole a team-leading 11 bases and hit .283 with three doubles and 11 RBIs.
Reach sports editor Shawn Stinson at 910-997-3111, ext. 14 or on Twitter @scgolfer.