Last updated: July 08. 2014 4:00PM - 2616 Views
By - iscarbrough@civitasmedia.com

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

WADESBORO — Police have identified the second body found in the former F&M McLendon Funeral Home as the remains of Henry Thomas Garris.

Garris, 63, was from Wadesboro. He died on Nov. 23, 2011, but police found his body and the remains of Marshall Ray Allen on June 4. Funeral home owner Mary McLendon-Brown led officers to both bodies inside the closed facility after a judge ordered her to reveal the location. Until last week, the identity of Garris’ body was a mystery.

Although this was not the first time neglected bodies were found in the funeral home (three others were found in November 2010), Wadesboro Police Chief Thedis Spencer said his department had no reason to suspect that Garris’ and Allen’s bodies had been left inside.

After the funeral home was shut down and the first three bodies were removed in 2010, McLendon reopened the business briefly before closing again, and acquired the two additional bodies in that brief timeframe.

In the first case, Spencer said Anson County sheriff’s deputies asked Wadesboro police officers to help with a foreclosure lockout at the funeral home. Officers then helped deputies identify and remove the three bodies that were found in the funeral home.

Although the bodies were several months old and neglected until Sheriff Tommy Allen arranged for Leavitt Funeral Home to keep the bodies until family members made funeral arrangements, police did not press charges against McLendon.

Spencer said police investigated the bodies’ identity and why they were still in the funeral home, ultimately determining that “there was not a crime resulting from the bodies remaining at the funeral home and that there was not a crime with respect to the financial aspect of the funeral services either.”

Officers alerted the decedents’ family members and turned the case over to the North Carolina Board of Funeral Directors.

Spencer said police continued to work with N.C. Board of Funeral Directors investigator Carolyn Connors for several years, investigating multiple complaints of misconduct at F&M. During this time, McLendon was able to work matters out with her bank and reopen.

“It was during this time that Marshall Ray Allen passed away and his body was turned over to Mary McLendon-Brown and F&M Funeral Home,” Spencer said.

The funeral board revoked McLendon-Brown’s license and the funeral home closed again.

“This closure was a civil matter and therefore not within the jurisdiction of the Wadesboro Police Department,” Spencer explained. “If officers were asked to accompany the North Carolina Board of Funeral Directors in closing F&M McLendon Funeral Home, it would only be in a peacekeeping role and therefore not legally justified to search.”

Police did not know Allen’s body was in the building, Spencer said.

“At no point prior to the sentencing portion of the trial State of North Carolina v. Mary McLendon-Brown did any officer of the Wadesboro Police Department have independent reasonable suspicion to believe that the body of Marshall Ray Allen was inside the building formally operated as F&M McLendon Funeral Home and therefore, no search warrant could be obtained,” Spencer said.

While Allen’s body was quickly identified, detectives worked with the Mecklenburg County Medical Examiner’s Office before positively identifying Garris on July 2.

On June 4, McLendon was sentenced to 6-17 months in prison for obtaining property by false pretenses after accepting money to take a body to the crematorium but failing to do so.

She is being held at the N.C. Correctional Institution for Women in Raleigh. As the investigation involving Garris is still ongoing, Spencer said no decision regarding any possible charges has yet been made.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Rockingham Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com