ROCKINGHAM — FirstHealth Richmond Memorial Hospital will be able to provide a limited number of free screening mammograms to women who meet need qualifications thanks to a grant from Susan G. Komen for the Cure of Charlotte.
The Komen mammography screenings are available for Richmond County residents who are at least 40, are uninsured and in need of assistance to get a screening mammogram.
Breast cancer is the No. 1 cancer diagnosed and the second-leading cause of cancer deaths in women. A woman has a one in eight chance of developing breast cancer sometime during her life. When breast cancer is found and treated early, the five-year survival rate is 98 percent.
Risk factors may increase your chances of developing breast cancer. Having a risk factor does not mean that you will get breast cancer, however. Richmond Memorial provided the following guidelines:
Know your risk
• Talk to your family to learn about your family health history
• Talk to your doctor about your personal risk of breast cancer
• Ask your doctor which screening tests are right for you if you are at a higher risk
• Have a mammogram every year starting at age 40 if you are at average risk
• Have a clinical breast exam at least every three years starting at age 20, and every year starting at age 40
Know what is normal for you - See your health care provider right away if you notice any of these breast changes:
• Lump, hard knot or thickening inside the breast
• Swelling, warmth, redness or darkening of the breast
• Change in the size or shape of the breast
• Dimpling or puckering of the skin
• Itchy, scaly sore or rash on the nipple
• Pulling in of your nipple or other parts
• Nipple discharge that starts suddenly
• New pain in one spot that does not go away
Make healthy lifestyle choices
• Maintain a healthy weight
• Add exercise into your routine
• Limit alcohol intake
• Limit postmenopausal hormone use
• Breastfeed, if you can
For questions about the Komen mammogram screening program, contact Amy Hamilton-Forester at 910-417-3735 or email@example.com.