Quantcast


Last updated: January 30. 2014 9:58AM - 1124 Views

Submitted photoThe 1891 court house bell is loaded on a truck for delivery to Snyder's work shop for polishing and restoration. Shown, from left, are Richmond County government employee Robbie Snead, Historical Society member Fred Nantz, Historical Society member Ed Snyder, Eddie Ratcliff Jr., helper and, back to camera, helper Bunny Wall.
Submitted photoThe 1891 court house bell is loaded on a truck for delivery to Snyder's work shop for polishing and restoration. Shown, from left, are Richmond County government employee Robbie Snead, Historical Society member Fred Nantz, Historical Society member Ed Snyder, Eddie Ratcliff Jr., helper and, back to camera, helper Bunny Wall.
Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

Members of the Richmond County Historical Society and others removed an 1891 court house bell on Tuesday from the basement of the court house.


The Historical Society will restore and create a permanent home for the bell on the court house grounds, a project offered to the Richmond County Board of Commissioners. The bell, of course, remains property of Richmond County.


The bell was installed in a new 1891 court house which once stood on what is now Harrington Square.


When the present court house was finished in 1925, the 1891 court house was sold for $1 and demolished. Someone had the presence of mind to save the bell. It has been in a corner of the court house basement all these years. The year of manufacture is stamped on the bell.


After restoration and mounting, the Historical Society will provide a plaque and have a brief ceremony, including ringing the bell, at the court house grounds location.


Comments
comments powered by Disqus



Featured Businesses


Poll



Info Minute



Gas Prices

Rockingham Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com