3rd shooting suspect caught


Defendant on the run 16 months

By William R. Toler - wtoler@civitasmedia.com



Courtesy photo Hakeem Owens, arrested last week, is the third suspect charged in a shooting from July 2015.


ROCKINGHAM — A third suspect in a shooting last summer has been arrested and is already out on bail.

The Richmond County Sheriff’s Office announced Tuesday that 26-year-old Hakeem Radriek Owens was arrested and charged with shooting Ethan Grant.

Grant was shot multiple times inside his Cartledge Creek Road home the afternoon of Sunday, July 12 and was later airlifted to a hospital for trauma care, investigators previously told the Daily Journal.

Chief Deputy Mark Gulledge said the sheriff’s office has been working with the N.C. State Bureau of Investigation and the Fayetteville Police Department’s Violent Criminal Apprehension Team on the case and that Owens was taken into custody without incident.

“As always, we thank our partners that help us locate and bring the accused to justice,” Gulledge said in an email. “Some think they can not be held accountable for their actions if they leave town. It’s just not that way.”

According to an arrest report, Owens was arrested Nov. 22 in Lumberton. A Cumberland County magistrate set his bond at $40,000 secured and he has since been released.

Court documents show one order for Owens’ arrest was issued on Dec. 15, 2015 on attempted murder and robbery charges and a second order was issued Jan. 14 on conspiracy charges, as well as possession of a firearm by a felon.

Deputies put out a call for help to the public to help locate Owens in August.

He is scheduled to appear in Richmond County Superior Court Dec. 5 on felony charges of: attempted first-degree murder; breaking and/or entering; robbery with a dangerous weapon; conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon; conspiracy to commit breaking and entering of a building with the intent of felony larceny; and possession of a firearm by a felon.

All defendants facing criminal charges are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty in court.

Two other men in the case were arrested last November and were convicted recently convicted.

Bryant Sanquan Hamilton pleaded guilty Nov. 8 to accessory after the fact to assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury and received a suspended sentence and 24 months of probation, according to records with the N.C. Department of Public Safety Division of Adult Correction.

Traviyon Dyvonte Freeman pleaded guilty on Oct. 13 to one felony count each of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury and robbery with a dangerous weapon.

Records show he was sentenced to a minimum term of 4 years and 10 months behind bars and was recently transferred to Hyde Correctional Institution.

Reach William R. Toler at 910-817-2675 and follow him on Twitter @William_r_toler.

Courtesy photo Hakeem Owens, arrested last week, is the third suspect charged in a shooting from July 2015.
http://www.yourdailyjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/web1_HAKEEM-RADRIEK-OWENS2.jpgCourtesy photo Hakeem Owens, arrested last week, is the third suspect charged in a shooting from July 2015.
Defendant on the run 16 months

By William R. Toler

wtoler@civitasmedia.com

comments powered by Disqus