49 newspapers called Richmond County home


Compiled by Matt Harrelson - mharrelson@civitasmedia.com



Matt Harrelson | Daily Journal The historic Leak Wall House in downtown Rockingham holds copies of some of Richmond County’s oldest newspapers, such as The Anglo Saxon, seen here.


Joe M. McLaurin, a former local historian and contributing columnist for the Daily Journal, compiled a list of former newspapers in Richmond County in a set of columns dated April 16, 1995 to May 14, 1995.

“I have come across references which clearly indicate there was at least one newspaper, and perhaps two, which were published in the county prior to the Civil War,” McLaurin wrote. “Even so, I’ve never been able to locate the name, or names. One of those, and perhaps the only one prior to the Civil War, was published and edited by James T. Powell Sr.”

The list that follows only includes present Richmond County and not newspapers published in present Scotland County, which was a part of Richmond County until 1899. The list is not compiled in alphabetical order but, instead, will start with the oldest and work forward to the present.

PRE-CIVIL WAR NEWSPAPER(S)

There was at least one, which was published in Rockingham.

Publisher and editor: James T. Powell Sr.

Title: Unknown; however, may have been called The Gazette.

Date started: Unknown

Discontinued: Date unknown. No copies known to have survived.

By the time of the Civil War, James Powell had moved to Cheraw, South Carolina, where he was again publishing a newspaper.

SOUTHERN ARGUS

Weekly, published in Rockingham.

Publisher and editor: Unknown

First issue: Unknown

Discontinued: Unknown

No copies known to have survived.

Names of two employees are known: Miss Sarah Ann Lampley (she wrote the “social column”) and Justin Holmes Ragan

THE OBSERVER

Weekly, published in Rockingham.

Started 1868 by Douglas Stewart

Discontinued: Date unknown

No copies known to have survived.

COURIER-SOUVENIR

Weekly, published in Rockingham.

Editors: C.P. Ervin and John Duckett

Started about 1869 or 1870

Discontinued: Date unknown

It is believed that this newspaper was eventually sold, and the name changed to The Pee Dee Bee.

NOTE: There is the possibility, judging from early records, that the Courier-Souvenir may have resulted from the merger of two earlier newspapers, one known as the Courier and the other as the Souvenir.

THE CAROLINA CLIPPER

Each Saturday, published in Rockingham.

Publisher and editor: William R. Terry

First issue: June 1, 1872

Discontinued: Date unknown

Only one issue, dated July 6, 1872, is known to have survived.

SPIRIT OF THE SOUTH

Weekly, published in Rockingham.

Publisher and editor: William R. Terry

Started January 1872

In 1894 it was sold to Alfred Settle Dockery Sr., who changed the name to The Southern Index.

A few copies have survived. First: May 9, 1874. Last: Dec. 22, 1888.

THE BEE

Also known as The Pee Dee Bee.

Weekly, published in Rockingham.

Published by Frank Sandford

This newspaper may earlier have been the Courier-Souvenir and represents a change to this name.

First issue: Jan. 6, 1873

Discontinued: Sometime in 1883

Several copies have survived. First: April 5, 1879. Last: July 16, 1881.

ROCKINGHAM SPIRIT

Weekly, published in Rockingham.

Publisher and editor: Unknown

First issue: Prior to March 1878

Discontinued: After January 1883

No copies are known to have survived.

THE ROCKET

Started 1873 by W.R. Knight

Published in Rockingham; likely a weekly.

First issue: Date unknown

Discontinued: Sometime in 1899

By 1892, ownership had changed to J.M. Blue and W.E. Harrison. By 1898, it had been purchased by Henry Clay Wall Sr.

1898 editor was John W. Walsh

In 1899, it acquired rival newspaper The Republic, and both The Rocket and The Republic merged into the Anglo-Saxon.

THE PEE DEE COURIER

Weekly, published in Rockingham.

Publisher and editor: Frank Sandford

Slogan: “A conservative paper having the largest circulation of any other paper published in the Pee Dee County.”

Date started: Prior to May 18, 1873

Discontinued: Unknown

Several copies have survived. First: May 13, 1876. Last: Dec. 23, 1876.

THE ADVOCATE

Weekly, published in Rockingham

Editor: William H. Quick

An African-American publication

Date started: Perhaps 1897

Discontinued: Unknown

Only one badly faded copy is known to have survived.

CENTRAL ARGUS

Weekly, published in Hamlet

Date started: Unknown

Discontinued: Unknown

Only issue known to have survived dated Nov. 4, 1880.

ROCKINGHAM ROCKET

Weekly, published in Rockingham

First issue: Prior to July 9, 1885

Discontinued: Sometime after June 5, 1890

Henry Clay Wall Sr. listed as editor and owner in 1899.

R.W. Knight listed as editor and “proprietor” in 1890.

A few copies have survived. First: July 9, 1885. Last: July 8, 1897.

RICHMOND ROCKET

Weekly, published in Rockingham

Publisher and editor: Henry Clay Wall Sr.

Started in 1883

In 1899, merged with the Anglo-Saxon.

Several copies have survived. First: April 3, 1884. Last: July 8, 1897

ROCKINGHAM INDEX

Founded in 1894 by Alfred Settle Dockery Sr. (Note: Dockery was just 18 years old at the time.)

First issue: Unknown

Discontinued: After August 1897

No copies are known to have survived.

THE DAILY ECHO

Believed to have been a weekly, not a daily.

Published in Rockingham by John H. Walsh

Date started: Unknown

Discontinued: Unknown

Only one copy, dated March 22, 1897, is known to have survived.

ANGLO-SAXON

Weekly, published in Rockingham.

First issue: May 1, 1899

In May 1899, acquired The Republic and The Richmond Rocket.

In Aug. 1909, Anglo-Saxon sold to The Post.

Several copies of the Anglo-Saxon have survived. First: May 18, 1899. Last: Aug. 1, 1908.

THE SOUTHERN INDEX

Weekly, published in Rockingham.

Started in 1894 by Alfred Settle Dockery Sr.

In 1894, purchased the Spirit of the South and changed the name.

Discontinued: After June 6, 1896

Note: In 1976, the Richmond County Daily Journal duplicated four pages of the Jan. 11, 1896, issue of The Southern Index and distributed them free as a promotion and public service. The reprinted copies did not contain a notation that they were not original. Many of these reprints are now surfacing with the mistaken belief that what has been found is the original.

THE PEE DEE UNION

Likely a weekly, published in Rockingham.

An African-American publication

Started: Prior to July 10, 1897

Discontinued: Date unknown

Only one faded, unreadable copy known to exist.

HAMLET ENTERPRISE

Weekly, published in Hamlet.

Editor: W.E. Clark

Started: Prior to July 1897

Discontinued: After Aug. 5, 1902

No copies are known to have survived.

THE REPUBLIC

Weekly, published in Rockingham.

Owners: Claudius Dockery, Sheriff J.M. Smith and W.A. McDonald

Slogan: “A Republican newspaper”

Started: April 1898

Discontinued: May 1899 when sold to the Anglo-Saxon

No copies are known to have survived.

THE HAMLET OUTLOOK

Weekly, published in Hamlet.

Publisher and editor: Unknown

Started May 6, 1903

Discontinued: Unknown

No copies are known to have survived.

THE RICHMOND HEADLIGHT

Weekly, published in Rockingham.

Publisher and editor: John H. Walsh

First issue: March 13, 1901

Discontinued: Fall of 1906

Several 1902 issues are known to have survived.

THE MESSENGER

Weekly, published in Hamlet.

Started October 1907

Discontinued: Jan. 10, 1920 when it merged with the Hamlet News forming the Hamlet News-Messenger.

THE RECORD

Weekly, published in Rockingham.

Slogan: “Goes everywhere worth going.”

Started by the Rev. Josiah Crudup and James H. Warburton

First issue: March 20, 1908

Discontinued: July 1908

No copies are known to have survived.

THE POST

Weekly, published in Rockingham.

Started Jan. 8, 1909

Publisher: Alfred Settle Dockery Sr.

Editor: W.E. Dockery

On Aug. 7, 1909, merged with the Anglo-Saxon with The Post surviving.

On Nov. 5, 1917, sold to Isaac S. London

No copies of The Post are known to have survived.

PIEDMONT DISPATCH

Weekly, published in Rockingham.

Started Dec. 18, 1915 by ex-Sheriff J.M. Smith and W.H. Covington

Sold in 1917 to Charles Phillips Russell who changed name to Rockingham Dispatch.

No copies of the Piedmont Dispatch are known to have survived.

ROCKINGHAM DISPATCH

Weekly, published in Rockingham.

Published by Isaac S. London who purchased and combined The Post and The Piedmont Dispatch.

First issue: Dec. 6, 1917

On April 1, 1953 it was sold to J. Neal Cadieu Sr.

I.S. London remained editor after the newspaper sold. In 1964, London died and Hubert Breeze became editor.

Discontinued: June 10, 1965

HAMLET NEWS

Weekly, published in Hamlet.

Publisher: W. Ralph Smith

First issue: April 14, 1918

Discontinued: Jan. 10, 1920 when merged with The Messenger, forming the Hamlet News-Messenger

THE HAMLET NEWS-MESSENGER

Weekly, published in Hamlet.

Started Jan. 10, 1920 by merger of The Messenger and The Hamlet News

In 1926, it was sold to Roy G. Cadieu, brother of J. Neal Cadieu Sr. who purchased the Richmond County Journal.

On Feb. 9, 1934, the newspaper was destroyed by fire, including all previously published issues, but publications started again after the fire.

In 1945, Roy Cadieu died.

On Dec. 1, 1947, it was sold to Chester A. “Barney” Martin.

On May 3, 1948, it became a twice-weekly publication.

In 1965, the publication changed to a tri-weekly.

In 1973, Chester Martin sold the newspaper, and the name changed to The News-Messenger and was edited by Roger L. Simmons.

In 1976, the name changed to The News and publication reverted back to weekly.

In 1980, it merged with Richmond County This Week to become The News of Richmond County This Week.

Discontinued: Jan. 18, 1995

PIEDMONT MESSENGER

Weekly, published in Rockingham.

Started Sept. 24, 1920 by J.R. Felts and ex-Sheriff J.M. Smith

Discontinued after a few issues

No copies are known to have survived.

ROCKINGHAM TIMES

Weekly, published in Rockingham

Started by ex-Sheriff J.M. Smith and “assisted by” Charles A. Brown

First issue: July 14, 1921

Sold on April 27, 1922 to A. Selders, who changed the name to Selders’ Weekly

SELDERS’ WEEKLY

Weekly, published in Rockingham.

Slogan: “One of the unmuzzled papers in the state”

It was billed as “A Republican Weekly.”

Publisher: A. Selders

First issue: April 27, 1922

Discontinued: April 25, 1924

No copies are known to have survived.

RICHMOND COUNTY JOURNAL

Started in 1931 by Scott McDonald Thomas Sr.

First issue: Sept. 8, 1931

Sold June 25, 1937 to J. Neal Cadieu Sr.

On Nov. 20, 1939, it became a twice-weekly.

On Oct. 15, 1951, it became a tri-weekly.

In 1957, J. Neal Cadieu Sr. died, and Mrs. Sybil Cadieu became editor.

On March 18, 1963, it began publishing five days a week and became the Richmond County Daily Journal.

In 1966, Mrs. Sybil Cadieu Easterling sold to J. Neal Cadieu Jr.

On May 11, 1989, it was sold to Park Communications.

In March 1990, a Sunday edition was added, giving it six issues a week.

In 1995, the Daily Journal was sold to Community Newspapers Inc.

On Sept. 1, 2006, it was sold to Heartland Publications.

In 2012, Heartland merged with two other chains to become Civitas Media.

THE SPIRIT OF RICHMOND

It was listed as “A Richmond County magazine.”

Published jointly by The News-Messenger of Hamlet and the Post-Dispatch of Rockingham

First issue: July 28, 1932

Discontinued: Unknown

No copies are known to have survived.

THE HAMLET ADVERTISER

Published in Hamlet.

Publisher: Wade Ison, “a former Hamlet boy”

Editor: Lewis Evans

Described as a “politically independent” publication

Started Aug. 20, 1936

Discontinued: Unknown

Only one issue is known to have survived.

THE SANDHILLS ADVOCATE

Published monthly in Ellerbe as a news magazine.

Editor: The Rev. C.T. Thrift

First issue: February 1945

Last issue: After December 1945

This publication was said to have been “the largest magazine (in circulation) published in North Carolina.”

SANDHILL NEWS

Weekly, published in Hamlet

Publisher and editor: J.W. Aldridge

First issue: March 6, 1946

On Oct. 12, 1948 it was sold to J. Neal Cadieu Sr. of the Richmond County Journal in Rockingham. Cadieu merged it with the Richmond County Journal.

Discontinued after purchase by J. Neal Cadieu Sr.

No copies of the Sandhill News are known to have survived.

EAST ROCKINGHAM NEWS

Weekly, published in Hamlet.

Published by Chester A. Martin

Started: About 1948

Discontinued: Unknown

SANDHILL INDEPENDENT

Weekly, published in Rockingham

Published by John W. Covington Jr.

First issue: April 5, 1963

Discontinued: Unknown

ROCKINGHAM STAR

Weekly, published in Hamlet by The Hamlet News-Messenger.

Published several months during the 1960s

First issue: Unknown

Last issue: Unknown

No copies are known to have survived.

THE ELLERBE NEWS

Weekly, published in Hamlet by The Hamlet News-Messenger.

Published several months during the 1970s

First issue: Unknown

Last issue: Unknown

No copies are known to have survived.

THE NEWS OF FIVE COUNTIES

Weekly, published in Hamlet by The Hamlet News-Messenger.

Published several months during the 1970s

Listed here for historical record; not considered a Richmond County newspaper.

RICHMOND COUNTY THIS WEEK

Weekly, published in Hamlet by The News.

First issue: Sometime in 1979

Last issue: Sometime in 1980 when it merged with The News to form The News of Richmond County This Week.

THE NEWS OF RICHMOND COUNTY THIS WEEK

Weekly, published in Hamlet.

Originally was Richmond County This Week

Date of first publication: Some time in 1980

Was still in publication in 1981

Discontinued: Unknown

THE NEWS-MESSENGER

Tri-weekly, published in Hamlet

Started in 1973 with the purchase of The Hamlet News-Messenger.

In February 1976, it changed to a weekly, and the name changed to The News.

In 1980, it merged with Richmond County This Week, and the name changed to The News of Richmond County This Week.

NORTH STAR

Bimonthly, published in Rockingham.

An African-American publication

Publisher: Barry Saunders

Started: Aug. 15, 1983

Discontinued: Unknown

RICHMOND COUNTY ADVERTISER

Weekly, published in Cheraw, South Carolina.

First issue: Sept. 24, 1986

Discontinued: Sometime in 1987

A few copies are known to have survived.

PERSPECTIVES

Published in East Rockingham.

Publishers and editors: Don and Elizabeth McRae Scarborough

First issue: Jan. 9, 1994

Matt Harrelson | Daily Journal The historic Leak Wall House in downtown Rockingham holds copies of some of Richmond County’s oldest newspapers, such as The Anglo Saxon, seen here.
http://www.yourdailyjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/web1_DSC_0159.jpgMatt Harrelson | Daily Journal The historic Leak Wall House in downtown Rockingham holds copies of some of Richmond County’s oldest newspapers, such as The Anglo Saxon, seen here.

Compiled by Matt Harrelson

mharrelson@civitasmedia.com

comments powered by Disqus