Dog dies in house fire


First Posted: 1/21/2015

HAMLET — A Richmond County family lost a pet after an early afternoon house fire Wednesday.

Hamlet Fire Chief David Knight said his department responded to a call around 1:15 p.m. to a home on Douglas Road, off Airport Road Extension.

Knight said it started as a yard fire and burned up to the house, going through the carport and into the kitchen before spreading to the attic.

“It was already in the attic when we got there,” he said, adding that flames were through the roof.

Knight said one of the residents, who was home at the time, said he was trying to extinguish the fire in the yard when he looked back and saw the house was on fire.

Crews had the fire under control within the first 30 minutes and were able to “keep contents downstairs from burning, for the most part,” according to Knight.

The chief said the home sustained heavy heat, smoke and water damage.

“I’m not sure if they can repair this one or not,” he said.

One of the family’s dogs, a Chihuahua, perished due to smoke inhalation, but firefighters were able to rescue another by administering oxygen.

Knight said the owners were advised to take the surviving dog to a veterinarian to make sure there were no serious injuries or issues.

The chief said he’s not sure how the fire started and the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office is investigating.

Crews cleared the scene around 3:30 p.m.

The American Red Cross was called in to assist the family, Knight said.

Reach reporter William R. Toler at 910-817-2675.

comments powered by Disqus